Hello, everyone! Apologies for not writing in a while. This
has been one of the busiest summers of my life so far, so let me give you the
rundown before I share my BIG, EXCITING NEWS!
I’ve taken on a summer job for a local manufacturing company
as a data entry assistant. This takes up about forty hours of my week. For
another ten to fifteen hours a week, I’ve been working at the local ice cream
shop where I worked last summer. When I originally started applying for summer
jobs, I never anticipated working with half of my family. However, I’m now working
in the same office as my dad, and my little brother also works at the ice cream
shop! While I’m getting used to seeing my dad every day at work, my brother and I don’t share any shifts at the shop (which is probably a good
thing).
In other news, in my limited amount of spare time I’ve been
catching up with friends and working on some little projects of my own. One of
my projects for this summer was to restore my parents’ quilt for their 25th
wedding anniversary, which they celebrated on June 25th this year.
(Congrats, Mom and Dad!) The quilt was made by my great-grandmother Hazel on my
dad’s side for their wedding. Actually, it was made some years before their
wedding while they were still dating in high school and left to the care of my
grandmother, should Hazel pass away before Mom and Dad got married. Nearly
thirty years after its construction, the quilt was literally falling apart at
the seams. Most of the knots through each of the SIX HUNDRED squares had ripped
through the backing, and a few of the squares were falling out. I ripped out
the knots, then seam-ripped the backing off the top. You should have seen the
monstrous dust bunny that crawled out of the layers of that quilt. *shudders*
(It hadn’t been washed . . . ever.) After sending the top through a few gentle
cycles of the dryer (and emptying the lint collector a few times) and then
using up nine lint roller sheets on the top of the quilt, I gave up. The next
steps were to piece together a back from brand new, bright red wool and replace
the few ripped squares on the front. One of the squares was replaced with a
piece of light blue and white felt, which I machine-embroidered with red
thread.
“K + D, 25 yrs”
Retying six hundred knots took me a few days, but soon the
quilt was back together, and the edging was stitched up with Hazel’s signature
zig-zag stitch. The quilt is now heavier than ever (I put batting in the
middle, though it was probably unnecessary), and hopefully it will last another
twenty-five years.
Now, perhaps you’re all griping, “Why is she going on and on
about a quilt? Get to the good stuff! What’s the big news?”
Well, as those of you know who have been following me on
facebook, one of my other big projects for this summer was to edit and prepare The
Battle for publishing. I had the book online as a separate blog until about
a year and a half ago, but I took it down when I published Beast,
thinking that perhaps I’d be able to do the same with my second novel someday.
That dream has now become a reality! After three pairs of eyes had read over my
original story and raised some very pressing questions regarding its plot, I
knew that I had some serious re-writing to do. My original goal to publish the
book over Christmas break this past year fell off the radar, but an interest in
my work expressed by our church librarian gave me new motivation to complete
the work I had started. I re-wrote some large chunks of the work, creating a
more cohesive, believable story line and removing many clichés I had used
during my wondrous high school years (when my writing stemmed more from emotion
than serious thought). After two more volunteers read through the new story,
offering yet more critiques and suggestions, I made some final changes. Two
friends from college assisted in the crafting of the cover art, and I assembled
the final product. I ordered a copy for myself from lulu.com, and upon
receiving it in the afternoon this past Tuesday, I could not be more pleased
with the final result! I’ve made a few formatting changes, and I’m pleased to
announce that The Battle is now ready for purchase from lulu.com! Thank
you to everyone who assisted during this long process. It could not have been
possible without you!
For those of you interested in purchasing a copy directly
from me, I will be placing an order next week. You can contact me through my
author facebook account. Simply leave me a comment on my page by July 25th as to
how many books you would like to purchase. They will be available on lulu.com
for $12.19, plus shipping, and from myself for $13.00.
More updates will come soon about future book signings! In
the meantime, check out The Battle on lulu.com, and visit my facebookpage!

Thank you for sharing the detail about the quilt's lint and zig-zag, but I really wasn't interested and couldn't wait for the big news! I had no idea that your writing style now stems from "serious" thought! :-p
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your second publishing! I will patiently wait for the third. Way to go, Jane Opal!