Monday, April 13, 2009

Commitments

Is there anyone out there that keeps a commitment anymore? If you look around, you'll see so many torn marriages and families. Husbands and wives, mothers and daughters, friends, companies, our government, even our churches for crying out loud! We're all falling apart!

Can't keep a promise. Can't keep a job. Can't keep a spouse, a son, a daughter. Can't keep a buck. Can't keep up appearances. Can't keep up a good reputation.

Does anyone even value a promise anymore? Or is it just empty words? Who cares if you don't keep that appointment? If you lie in court while you're under oath? If you say you'll help a friend or lend a hand at church every Wednesday and then you aren't able to for whatever reason? You were busy. They'll understand. Right?

I'd like to be understanding. I'd like to say, "It's ok. Don't sweat it." Because I'm probably guilty of the same thing, just like everyone else. I don't want to be a hypocrite, so I'll just let this issue slide.

But I can't, not when I see the world collapsing around us because of broken promises.

Jesus said this about the end times: "Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

Call me a prophet of doom, but I don't think that's too distant in our future. Actually, it sounds like we're already there.

There used to be a time when a person's word meant something. Can someone tell me what happened? Did someone drop the ball? When did we all stop caring?

Maybe it's better to live a life in silence, than to make all of the finest promises in the world and not keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment