Jesus never took a vacation. He didn't take a day off. He worked on Sundays, Sabbath days, and weekdays.
Jesus knew when his last day on earth would be. He knew when - and how - he was going to die. Did that make a difference in his life? People are always asking, "What would you do if you knew you only had x-amount of days left on this rock called earth?" Well, he knew. And he did what he came to do.
Why is it that people have to be prompted into action by termination? Why don't we sober up today, instead of waiting until it's too late? Why does my friend say that she wants to have as much "fun" as she can before she turns eighteen? What if she doesn't have the chance to turn eighteen? Her brother died in a car accident when he was only nine! Didn't she learn from that? He didn't know that his father would fall asleep at the wheel, end up going ninety and crash into a guard rail, killing them both. I'm sorry, it isn't my place to judge. I just don't understand her.
I don't take too many risks. People tell me that I'm too serious, that I need to lighten up, loosen up. Maybe I am, maybe I do. I know that every day counts, and I don't want to waste one.
...And, yet, I do. Or, at least, I feel like I do. Am I wasting my life if I'm not being chased by guards or shot at in a foreign country? If I'm not preaching on a street corner? If I'm not volunteering every minute of every hour that I have at some charity? My life feels so unadventurous. I should be more careful what I wish for...
Maybe it doesn't matter what I'm doing, as long as I'm doing it for the right Person.
1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
In the time I've spent with you, friend, have I wasted my time? Have I wasted yours? You can't see my actions; you can only read my words. Have they mattered? Have they made any difference at all? Or am I just speaking to closed ears? It's too bad that I'm too stubborn to stop talking to you, too tenacious to be easily discouraged and readily give up. Luckily for you, I'm intent on not wasting one day.
If today was your last day and tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past?
Donate every dime you had?
And would you call those friends you never see?
Reminisce old memories?
Would you forgive your enemies?
And would you find that one you're dreaming of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you'd finally fall in love if today was your last day?
~ Nickelback, If Today Was Your Last Day
No comments:
Post a Comment