"Close your eyes!" Daddy says. "I have something for you."
This is the gift I've been waiting for. He told me that I could have it when I was ready, and I've been waiting for years. He's kept it in the closet, locked away. I pictured it in my mind - the eyes, the arms, the lips. No, it's not a doll, Daddy chuckles.
While I wait, I start to worry. What if it's not what I've hoped for? What if it doesn't look like I thought it would, or say or do the things I thought it would?
"I can't give it till you until you close your eyes," Daddy says. "I need you to trust Me. Have faith."
I think I know the kind of love I've been waiting for, but I'm not entirely certain. If I could just have a peek...I'd know for sure...
"Ah, ah. Close your eyes."
I struggle to trust Him, to believe that He has my best interests in mind. I squeeze my eyes shut, only to open them again a few seconds later. Finally, I close them completely, resignedly. I inhale deeply and hold my breath. Time seems to slow. I sleep for a hundred years and don't grow old, but my heart grows older while I wait just a few seconds more. I finally know what it's like to love, because love always trust, always hopes -
I awaken to a slight pressure on my lips. I open my eyes to see my prince leaning over me. Daddy asks, eyes eager like mine were just a few minutes ago, "What do you think?"
No comments:
Post a Comment