Thursday, December 27, 2012

New years . . .

. . . like new days, all contain their own unique challenges and opportunities. Hopefully, this new year will see the publishing of a new book, but it will see it not as soon as I and others would like.

Just a quick update on my progress with self-publishing my next book, and then I'll leave you to enjoy your New Year's shenanigans. My second "editor" has returned my MS for The Battle with many notes and corrections, some humorous and some serious. There was a lot more there than I bargained for, and I realized again the value of a second (or third, or fourth . . . ) pair of eyes. Having written the story four years ago, I'm now realizing how many goofs, holes, and loose ends I left in it. It's going to need a real fix-up before I can even think about publishing it. All the same, thanks to my friend for giving it the once-over.

And I realize I really only have a readership of one on here, but hopefully there will be more to read in coming years. Life never seems to slow down, and it's a rare person who can make a living out of writing. It seems like writing novels will always be a side thing for me, but if just a few people out there enjoy my stories (even if I never make and money from any of them) that's all right with me.

All right. Enough of the self-reflection, bordering on self-pity. Happy New Years' to all! Make it count.

- Jess

3 comments:

  1. Do not be discouraged by the work that you must do to achieve what you desire. If the Lonely Mountain had been easily reclaimed from Smaug, there would not have been an entire book written on the tasks undertaken to accomplish it.
    You have only written one book - as a teenager at that! There are many more years for the popularity of your writings to take hold. Whatever "success" you achieve with your writing, do not let poor or grand reception change who you are.

    ReplyDelete