Monday, July 7, 2008

Some of the greatest ideas ever have come about by asking, "What if?"

Unfortunately, the question is also responsible for causing unnecessary worry in worst-case-scenario people like myself. Most people have no idea how many wort-case scenarios go through my mind during the day, because I'm usually an upbeat person. I'm not two-faced; I don't try to pretend to be all happy when I'm worried or concerned about something...I just believe that I'm more self-sufficient than I actually am. I don't like to throw my problems on other people, so I just keep it all bottled up inside.

My attitude is usually "I can handle it" and "I don't need anyone else." But I couldn't be farther from the truth! All of this needless stress is starting to wear me down. I'm working harder at handing my burdens over to God. He can handle it when I can't. I'm also working on being less of a worst-case-scenario person. Asking God to help me nip those thoughts in the bud when they start sprouting has begun to help, I'm noticing.

I hope, in the future, to really be able to experience the complete joy and peace that is promised to every child of God. While Satan comes to tear my life apart, Jesus comes to put it back together again and to make it fuller and better than it's ever been.

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a religious person but I don't think god wants to handle our burdens. I think god wants to strengthen us so that we can handle our own. Instead of "what if" maybe ask a different open ended question that forces a more upbeat answer. Something like "would it be better if I did . . ." If it would be better than you have a new plan of action.

    By the way, I read parts of your other blogs. I enjoyed your writing. When I used to write I found that to be a great place for my negative side. My poor hero would have all sort of troubles reflected from my fears. The hero would then overcome. Sort of inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to your comment - Yeah, I didn't mind having SOME of my family read my blog, but sometimes it's too easy to be misinterpreted! :) Anonymous seems much safer to me.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi jane, it's really helpful for us to share our struggles, problems and joy to others, but just be careful, share that to someone who is trustworthy and someone whom you can trust. IF you have caregroup in your Church you can share that to your cell leader too.

    That's the reason why Paul said in Galatians that we should bear each other's burden.

    Jesus loves you.

    Hugs and kisses
    Jhunnelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guilty of thinking worst-case scenarios too. I think I get it from my dad because he frequently tells me how he is "a crisis-oriented person." And, well, it's true; I don't think I worry as much as he does though haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem with god as a parent of hard knocks is the punishment comes only at the end. There is no suffer the concequences to learn. It is just suffer.

    ReplyDelete