Tuesday, October 14, 2008

If I may take a moment...

(And thanks to our freedom of speech in this country, I MAY)
...I'd like to share my life verse with everyone who spends their spare minutes reading my blog. For those of you unfamiliar with the term "life verse", that basically refers to the Bible verse, or verses in this case, that have really stood out to me more than any other in God's Word. I've claimed these verses as my own, to model my life after and to let affect who I become as a person.

Without further ado - my life verse.

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed my the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing, and perfect will.


I'd like to focus on the phrase "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

I make it a point to be original. God has transformed my life by first changing my heart and then my mind. So the last thing I want to do is go trashing it up with all sorts of things that God isn't pleased with. More than anything else, though, I try not to be obsessed with my outward appearance. It's more important to me to know that people see me as a beautiful person because of how I act, not because of how I look. I know so many girls that are considered pretty or hot or sexy, but they really don't have anything to offer the world when it comes to character and integrity.

Can I let you in on something else? I don't wear make up(not that I have anything against it), and I don't shop at Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch. To be completely honest, their advertisements in front of their stores literally SCARE me away. Whenever I'm in the mall, those are the two stores that I pass as quickly as possible. Why? Because there are half-naked manikins placed right outside the door! And I noticed this the other day while watching TV - Isn't it sad how a company can't even sell laundry detergent anymore without a sensual add?

I'll just leave everyone to think about that. But for now, I'd like to close with a poem I wrote last night. *Ahem*


Against the Flow

Whatever happened to
moving against the flow?
The current's too strong.
The water's too cold.

The stream is too deep.
The river's too wide.
Where do you stand?
Why not pick a side?

You all preach diversity,
you who swim with the rest.
Why not start a change?
Put your faith to the test.

Dare to be different.
Boldly go!
And dare to move
against the flow.

2 comments:

  1. nice poem, I can relate :)

    I don't shop at those "popular" stores either, only because I can find the $50 shirt there for $15 at a less at a different store. Why would I want to pay $35 for a logo? Or why pay $70 for a pair of ripped jeans when you can buy a regular pair of jeans for $20 and then just rip them yourself if you really want to? It doesn't make sense!

    note: I really don't know the exact prices lol. but I think I'm pretty close :)

    P.S. thanks for the comment. I completely forgot what I wrote in chapter 4 when I was writing chapter 5 lol. Too many writing blocks can really distract you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that you are thinking differently:). i mean unlike the world.
    This is the struggle we have in our daily life.
    That was a nice poem.

    ReplyDelete